What is a pinched nerve? A pinched nerve is too much pressure or compression of a nerve by its surrounding tissues and is usually caused by bones, cartilage or muscles surrounding the nerve. Read further about pinched nerve treatment.
Here are a few tips to get rid of Pinched Nerve pain:
- Avoiding the problem is the first thing. A few steps to follow are:
- Sit up straight: Bad sitting postures are the first ones that cause nerve compression. This works very well on upper and lower back pains.
- Avoid lifting heavy luggage. Prefer taking trolleys or pull along bags. Never burden your back.
- Avoid pressure on a few places like elbows, wrists etc. Avoid stress. Relax and take rest.
- Hot and cold compresses: A hot water bag helps by dilating blood vessels and relaxes the muscle which helps in relief from pain. On the other hand, cold water bag reduces the blood flow and the area gets numb resulting in relief from pain. You can also try alternative hot and cold bags as well.
- Hot oil massage: Once in a while prefer a hot oil massage. If done properly, the motions involved in massage help to release tension of the muscle and the pressure of the nerve. Olive oil is much recommended for massages due to its anti-inflammatory properties and it also reliefs pain.
- Intake Calcium: Calcium is a mineral responsible for relaxation of muscles. Hence have a calcium rich diet to get natural relaxation and ease the pressure on that area. Calcium is found in spinach, sesame seeds and low fat dairy products.
- Intake Potassium: Lack of potassium also results in pinched nerve. Add nuts, apricots and bananas to your diet. Learn about the pinched nerve treatment here.
- Cinnamon powder and honey: Apply a paste made of cinnamon and honey on the affected area. They are natural inflammatory agents that help to get rid of pinched nerves by reducing the inflammation of the tissues.
- Exercises: A physiotherapist will be able to guide you through a few exercises to relieve the pain. Alternatively you can also try swimming, yoga and aerobics as well. Acupuncture is also great.
- Lose weight: Obese people are at a risk of different types of pains due to additional weight on their muscles and bones. Hence, if you are overweight, shredding those extra calories will do wonders and relieve all sorts of discomforts. Once weight is lost, keep a track and stay healthy.
- Take simple medications like pain killers to get relief. Some non steroid and anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and acetaminophen give good relief. Be careful to use them as directed by your physician to avoid any side effects.
Pinched nerve is a common problem seen in many people. One can try to get rid of it by following a few tips and by making some simple life style changes. If the pain persists for several weeks or if it is causing a lot of discomfort and passing to other parts of the body, contact your doctor immediately.